Apr 6, 2010

Play That Funky Music White Boy!

Easter Sunday, 2010
Chiang Mai, Thailand

Jacqui had been working on and off for the last three or four days to make Easter morning special for the children, so I was already awake when I heard the drumming in the distance. Still, it was probably drum drills from the military base nearby so I didn't initially react. But Jackie knew what it was and she immediatley sprng to action dressing in a flash and walking with the kids to find the source.

Grabbing one of the bikes from the hotel I caught Jackie and the kids as they reached the back of a large traffic jam. Ben jumped on the padded seat on the bike rack and the two of us weaved our way to towards the front.

As we reached the band that lead the Easter day procession they began to blast out the tune "Play That Funky Music White Boy!" and I couldn't help thinking how lucky we were to be there. I'm not sure Ben got it, but a quick look around at the other expats in the crowd confirmed that this was one special Easter parade. I've been in a lot of Easter celebrations, but this one, in the heart of a Budhist country, with a marching band playing the old Wild Cherry disco hit was one of the most special Easters I've witnessed.

--Paul
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love a parade! Get music selection. Maybe I can send them sheet music for "Shake Your Booty" by KC and the Sunshine Band? Did they play "Peter Cottontail"? >> Here in Oregon we got over 2 feet of snow at the Caves - spread out over Easter week. Our marching band canceled.

Carla said...

LOL! What a hoot! I'm glad you caught up with the band. I have that song on my iPod, so I hear it every so often.

Our Easter was downright strange: sunny and 81 degrees! Sixteen days ago, it was Winter, and now it is hot. Not tropical rainforest hot, but hot for New England. Go figure!