Jul 10, 2010

On the Road Again







Cicero, New York
July 10. 2010
On the Road Again

A warm American welcome greeted us when we got home. My sister, Alicia, and nephew, Matthew, cheerfully met us with welcome signs at Dulles International Airport - outside Washington, D.C. in Virginia. As our house is rented out till August 1, we spent three nights in Reston, Virginia with my sister, brother-in-law and two nephews. Along with my mom and dad they treated us to an American BBQ with hamburgers, hot dogs, corn on the cob, and a finale of fireworks (to make up for missing 4th of July). We all had a great time being with them and squeezing in quick visits with other friends.

Now we are on the road again - in more way than one. We are traveling to visit family - and I'm driving for the first time since we left! This has been the longest I have not driven since I got my driver's licence. In college I did not have a car but I'd go home on breaks and drive. It's been great not having to drive. But in the wonderful, big US I've go to drive to get across these vast spaces. :o)

We knew we'd be traveling a bit in the US in July and in fact today we are in New York where we traveled for a golf tournament in honor of Paul's cousin, Captain Phil Dykeman, a marine killed in Iraq two years ago (TeamDykeman.com). The money raised goes to pay for a college scholarship created in his honor.

Next we are off to Lake Champlain to visit Paul's mom then heading south to a family reunion in the green mountains of North Carolina. Another trip to a family camp on a pristine lake in the Adirondacks, New York, rounds off the month. We expect to be back and done with travels and in our house around mid-August.
We are working on answering questions people have sent us about our trip - from languages to laundry and will be posting those answers soon.

Happy days,

Jackie







No comments: